The Atai Omoruto Scholarship will be awarded at the upcoming Wonca Africa Regional meeting . There will be a call for applications shortly. Please take this opportunity to celebrate Atai’s life and extraordinary work by “paying it forward” and donating to the fund.
The Dr Atai Anne Deborah Omoruto Scholarship Award is in the spirit of Atai’s leadership in family medicine in Africa, inspired by her dedication to the advancement of women physicians and women’s health in family medicine, and in tribute to Atai’s exceptional courage, selflessness, and commitment to her patients with Ebola both in Uganda and Liberia.
She pioneered the establishment of the family medicine program at Makerere University, Uganda and was head of the family medicine department, Makerere University from 2004 to 2011. Atai was an executive member of the WONCA Working Party on Women and Family Medicine and was the recipient of WONCA 2016 Global Five Star Doctor Award in recognition of her extraordinary service as a family medicine leader over many years, her service to the people ofUganda, and her recent extraordinary leadership tackling the Ebola crisis in West Africa. Atai passed away in May, 2016.
The aim of the scholarship is to provide opportunities for African women doctors whose economic circumstances limit their ability to attend WONCA World Conferences, particularly those women in their early career. The candidate for the Atai Omoruto Award should be an African woman family physician or family medicine resident in Africa, who demonstrates significant contributions in Africa, in any the following areas: Leadership in Family Medicine at the institutional, local, or national levelCommitment to the advancement of women in family medicine, Clinical courage and selflessness in providing care to the most vulnerable populations
Donations are solicited for the Atai’s scholarship fund. Donations can be made by colleagues from any region who are interested in supporting our African.Payment can be made to the fund through WONCA administration with the following method.
- Credit Card Via www.paypal.com
- Log in to Paypal account
- Click“Send Money” toEmail :email@example.com
- Put the total amount in USD
- Please choose Sending payment for “I’m making personal payments”
1. Please kindly ensure that the currency is USD for both money sending and receiving.
2. Please put the message “Donation for Atai’s Bursary”
- Electronic Bank Transfer
If the value of your donation is equal or greater than $500, a bank transaction is optional.
- Account Number: 0-500152-001
- Account name: WONCAInternational Inc.
- Bank name: Citibank Singapore Ltd.
- Bank’s address: 23 Church Street, 02-01 CapitalSquare, SINGAPORE 049481
- Bank code:7214
- Bank branch code: 011
- SWIFT code: CITISGSGGCB.
1. Please instruct your bank that all bank charges, including overseas charges, will be paid by the sender of the funds otherwise WONCA will not receive the full amount donated.
2. Please put the message“Donation for Atai’s Bursary”